There are numerous structures that need permits in the township, but a quick list includes:
• Sheds or detached buildings larger than 10' x 10' (100 square feet) need a zoning certificate and must be six feet from any property line. If the building is 200 square feet or larger, a building permit from Montgomery County and concrete foundation are required in addition to a zoning certificate.
• All pools (including above ground pools higher than two feet) require both a certificate and a building permit. Distance from the property line varies with the zoning district. Fencing or cover requirements also exist.
• All building additions require both a certificate and a building permit. Distance from the property line varies with the zoning district. • All patio covers and carports are considered building additions and require both a certificate and a building permit.
• All decks with floors 24 inches or more from the ground are considered building additions and require a certificate. Call Montgomery Building Regulations at (937) 225-4622 for requirements for deck permits.
• All signage with a commercial message requires both a certificate and a building permit.
• All fences require only a certificate from the township. The Application for Zoning Certificate should be accompanied by two plot plans indicating where the fence is to be installed. Fences are limited to 42 inches in height between the house and front property line(s), six feet elsewhere. For assistance in locating underground utilities, call the Ohio Utilities Protection Service at 800-362-2764.
• Please contact Montgomery County Building Regulations Department (937)-225-4622 prior to any construction project for current building code requirements as the building code is not regulated by Miami Township and is also periodically revised.