- Public Information
- Social Media Public Use Policy
Social Media Public Use Policy
Social media continues to have a significant impact on how information is shared and received. Miami Township, Montgomery County, Ohio, recognizes that social media is an effective method to share information with residents and promote township initiatives. It is the intent of the township to use social media to better connect and communicate with the community. The township currently has accounts with four social media providers: Facebook, Twitter, Instagram and YouTube.
The following general use policy will help clarify how best to enhance and protect personal and professional user information on social media. Comments are moderated by township staff which reserves the right to remove any comments at any time that are deemed unlawful and/or off topic. Posts containing, but not limited to the following, will be deleted by township staff if deemed as inappropriate material:
- Comments not topically related to the social medium article being commented upon
- Comments in support of or in opposition to political campaigns or ballot measures
- Profane language or content; obscene material
- Defamatory, abusive, libelous, harassing, stalking, or threatening comments or content;
- Content that promotes, fosters or perpetuates discrimination based on race, creed, color, age, religion, gender, marital status, status regarding public assistance, national origin, physical or mental disability or sexual orientation
- Sexual content or links to sexual content
- Solicitations of commerce
- Commercial material/spam
- Comments that promote certain services, products, or political organizations
- Conduct or encouragement of illegal activity
- Information that may tend to compromise the safety or security of the public or public systems
- Content that violates a legal ownership interest of any party; copyright violations
- Comments that violate the privacy rights of others
- Identifiable medial information
- Duplicate posts from the same individual
- Links to other web pages
By choosing to comment, social media users agree to the foregoing rules. Opinions expressed by visitors to the page do not reflect the opinions of the township. Any content posted or submitted for posting is subject to public disclosure. The township further reserves the right to amend or modify this policy at any time.
Social Networking: On-line platforms where users can create profiles, share information and socialize with others using a range of technologies. Users share content, interact and develop communities centered on similar interests.
Social Networking Site: Examples of social networking sites includes: Facebook, LinkedIn, Snapchat, Instagram, Twitter, YouTube and a rapidly changing network of other sites.
Social Media: A category of internet-based resources that integrates user-generated content and user participation. This includes, but is not limited to, social networking sites, micro-blogging sites, photo and video sharing sites, blogs, Wikipedia, and news sites.
Page: The specific portion of social media website where content is displayed and managed by an individual or individuals with administrator rights.
Post: Content individuals share on a social media site or the act of publishing content on a site.
Speech: Expression or communication of thoughts or opinions in spoken words, in writing, by expressive conduct, symbolism, photographs, video, or related forms of communication.